Wow, that's great Josh!
Where did you get the info on "coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory"?
Thanks,
Ken
 
 

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 10:33 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Getting List of Tablenames for a DSN

Thanks Dick, the Meta Data information will be immensely helpful. I've
got all the information I need on SQL Server, but I didn't know that
JDBC allowed for this kind of abstraction. I wonder if it works with MS
Access - hehe.

What I'm thinking is that there should be a way to connect to a CF
server using Java and generate a panel similar to the one in CFStudio
that displays all DSNs, then lets you expand the tables and view the
content of each table as well as the datatype of each field.

I've got a quick and dirty one for SQL Server done in CFML - if anyone
wants it it's located at: http://www.joshuasmiller.com/dsn_browser.zip

Joshua Miller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]


-----Original Message-----
From: Dick Applebaum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 11:44 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Getting List of Tablenames for a DSN


Forgot to post a URL that discusses metadata:

    
http://members.aol.com/kgb1001001/Articles/JDBCMetadata/ 
JDBC_Metadata.htm

HTH

Dick
On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 08:29 AM, Dick Applebaum wrote:

> You should be able to do it with cfobject and the JDBC drivers using
> metadata.  something like:
>
>
>    <cfscript>
>    url  = 
> "jdbc:pointbase:cfsnippets,database.home=/opt/coldfusionmx/db";
>    user = "PBPUBLIC";
>    pass = "PBPUBLIC";
>    foo  =
> CreateObject("java","com.pointbase.jdbc.jdbcUniversalDriver");
>    con  = foo.getConnection(url, user, pass);
>    dbmd = con.getMetaData( );
>    allTables = dbmd.getTables(null,null,null,tableTypes);
>
>    *
>    *
>    *
>
>    </cfscript>
>
>
> The problem is that CF has no concept of a null value, so you can't
> pass a null in the statement:
>
>      allTables = dbmd.getTables(null,null,null,tableTypes);
>
> And, if you are restricted to CFMX only, you are SOL!
>
> Dick
>
>
> On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 07:09 AM, Joshua Miller wrote:
>
>> Ok, Ben's article in the new CFDJ has me thinking - there's a way to
>> display all the DSN connections using CFML and CFOBJECT, but is there
>> a
>> way to display all the table names for a specific DSN? I'd like to
>> write
>> a web-based version of the Studio DSN browser and that's the missing
>> link. I can do it using SQL Meta Data, but that's RDBMS specific, is
>> there a way to do it with CFML and CFOBJECT?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joshua Miller
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> 


______________________________________________________________________
Structure your ColdFusion code with Fusebox. Get the official book at 
http://www.fusionauthority.com/bkinfo.cfm
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/index.cfm?sidebar=lists

Reply via email to