On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 07:41 PM, Michael Dinowitz wrote:

>> If I understand correctly, the language, CFM,  can not (or can no
>> longer) be copyrighted -- only implementations of the language.  (I
>> don't necessarily agree with this, but apparently that's the way is  
>> is).
> Can you give a source for this? I'd like to know why CFML can't be
> copywrited.
>


I am no lawyer, but, once it has been published without a copyright, I  
think it is in the public domain  -- that's why BD can do an  
implementation.

>> What I am concerned with is that the language gets bastardized by many
>> people doing different dialects.
> So they should stick to the official version. The one put out by MM. In
> this, BD is in the wrong. They want to claim to be a CF parser but the
> second they add in their own functionality then they're something else.

But they don't have to -- and there is the problem

>
>> Look at JavaScript/JScript --->ECMAScript for precedent (or browsers,
>> or OSes, yadda, yadda, yadda)
> ECMAScript that's not implimented on most browsers, that's still not
> standardized across browsers and is just a name with no juice? That
> ECMAScript?
>
>> I guess you could say that the only way for MM to prevent someone
>> (bigger) from stealing the language -- is to give it away -- to the
>> public domain.
> Or sue. Or ask nicely for the others to play by the language rules.
>

Old IBM saying --- squeeze a behemoth, you get covered with behemoth  
shit!

-- even the US Govt. can't/won't beat M$.


>> Vince rang a bell, that can't be unrung!
> Of course it can. Who said he had the right to ring it. I'd love to  
> hear
> what a copywrite lawyer has to say here.

Me too -- I am on your side

Dick
>
> 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/index.cfm?sidebar=lists&body=lists/cf_talk
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
Structure your ColdFusion code with Fusebox. Get the official book at 
http://www.fusionauthority.com/bkinfo.cfm

Reply via email to