Other than the part about a "parser" (BlueDragon is much more than
that), I absolutely agree. Here's New Atlanta's position regarding the
CFML "standard":

  1) There is only one CFML standard, which is defined by: (a) the
"specifications" as represented by Macromedia's published documentation
for CF5/CFMX; and, (b) the "reference implementations", that is,
CF5/CFMX. (Having said this, it should be noted that there are
discrepancies between the documentation and actual implementations, and
differences between the CF5 and CFMX implementations. Also, there are
certain well-known authors who tend to publish CFML examples that are at
odds with the documentation, but which happen to work on one or both of
the CF5/MX implementations; these examples tend to then assume
"pseudo-official" status among the CFML community. All of this makes
life very interesting when trying to implement a "compliant" CFML
server).

  2) BlueDragon will attempt to fully implement the CFML standard as
defined, above. Where we are unable to exactly match the CF5/MX
implementation, we will: (a) clearly document the incompatibility as a
"limitation" of BlueDragon; (b) make sure the BlueDragon parser clearly
flags the incompatibility as a runtime error; and, (c) provide a
workaround that is compatible with CF5/MX (if possible).

  3) Any CFML enhancements introduced by BlueDragon are proprietary and
are not part of the CFML standard, and will be clearly documented as
such. Of course, we will be delighted if/when Macromedia adopts any of
our enhancements as official parts of the CFML standard.

Some background: New Atlanta has been developing products to Java
standards (servlets, JSP, JDBC) and participating in Sun's Java
Community Process (JCP) since 1997. The JCP isn't perfect, but it works
pretty well, and as a small company we're very happy with the level of
input it gives us. We like the "stewardship" Sun has over Java and would
not want to see Java handed over to some standards body.

We'd be very happy to see Macromedia start something similar to the JCP
that would allow us and their customers some input into the CFML
specification process. For that matter, we'd also like to see a tighter
definition of CFML, and maybe an official compatibility test suite. We
would not advocate that Macromedia turn CFML over to some third-party
standards body.

Cheers,

Vince Bonfanti
New Atlanta Communications, LLC