It all depends on the printer you are using.. if its a thermal barcode
type, well you likely will need to but a printserver appliance to smack
an IP to it...

Now if laser is the case, HP tends to be mostly IP based on the
business models or optional upgrade...  Administration and all can be
done via IP / Web browser...

The firewall matter is easily remedied by opening the Microsoft service
port used for such things... MS should have a list of PORT stuff
somewhere on their website... numbers of firewall vendors make such
available for easy configuration by new buyer.

-paris

Paris Lundis
Founder
Areaindex, L.L.C.
http://www.areaindex.com
http://www.pubcrawler.com
412-292-3135
[finding the future in the past, passing the future in the present]
[connecting people, places and things]