Maybe I'm wrong - but other languages DO have to worry about race
conditions. It's not a question of CF missing some feature but a matter
of fact. Now, in the past, CF could possibly crash just _reading_ these
types of variables - and certainly that was an... issue (grin), but that
is not the case anymore.

=======================================================================
Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master for Hire

Email    : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW      : www.camdenfamily.com/morpheus
Yahoo IM : morpheus

"My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrew Tyrone [mailto:atyrone@;optonline.net] 
> Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 11:25 AM
> To: CF-Talk
> Subject: Understanding Locking In CFMX
> 
> 
> There was another post about this I could've responded to, 
> but I deleted it,
> hence this new post.
> 
> This article:
> 
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/Handlers/index.cfm?ID=23021&Method=Full

Explains why not locking shared scopes won't crash the server, but could
cause a "race condition" and corrupt data.  What I don't get is why
OTHER
languages don't need locks around shared scopes, if CFMX is indeed
thread-safe like they are (ASP to name one).  Basically this article
says
"The good news is your server won't crash -- the bad news is, your data
will
be totally useless."  To me, that says "You still have to lock
everything
you always had to, unless you want corrupt data."  I'm sorry, but it
seems
like a lot of double-talk to me.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
Signup for the Fusion Authority news alert and keep up with the latest news in 
ColdFusion and related topics. http://www.fusionauthority.com/signup.cfm

Reply via email to