Absolutely.  That's something we tested, and it did seem to make a
slight difference.  It did not stop things like cyclical calls to a page
-- which, in reality, do happen and should be managed by the server...
rather than simply being brought to it's knees.

| Piling up some assumptions:
|
| First of all, CF MX will wait indefinitely for database queries to
| return if there is a problem in the JDBC driver or the database that
| does not return an error condition. This will add to the
| running request
| number as well as eat 1 client access licence from the
| dataabse server. This means that following request will have
| less threads to work with,
| and have to open a new databse connection. Eventually, this database
| connection also breaks. Next client access license + thread eaten.
| Process repeats itself until the maximum number of allowed
| requests is
| reached.
|
| Some way to test this scenario would be to disable connection
| pooling.
| Then you should be able to see on the database side how long
| connections
|   stay open. If they stay open past the longest query, you found the
| problem.
| Another option would be to try and limit the amount of connections to
| the database to something less as the restart threshold. Then
| you would
| start to see timeouts from queries not being able to get a database
| connection before the server actually crashes.

That's just the point, it doesn't work.  And to my knowledge it has
*never* worked in any version of CF.  Certainly not that I could ever
see.  The server could be brought down thru DOS attacks.  And
essentially, this is what is happening -- albeit not "on purpose."