Application.cfm is read on the load of each and every CFM page within the
same directory as the Application.cfm page, and below that directory.

Upon running a CFM page, CF looks for an application.cfm page in the same
dir.  If it doesn't find one, it traverses up to the next level of dir and
looks for one there.  It will keep going up dirs until it finds one.
Nothing adverse will happen if you DON'T have one.  However, if you need to
load specific info into each page, that is a way you can do it.

It is NOT recommended that you use the application.cfm for things like
general calculations, etc.  Only things that are required -- and keep it to
a minimum.  Otherwise, you're simply loading things on each CFM page load
that aren't really needed... which can, of course, cause a performance hit.
It all depends on what you're loading, and how.