I have been through the hoops of design environments, web development firms and
programmers...

Most design folks across the board should quit what they are doing.. some are good
because they have excellent color theory and shape arrangement... Some just use really
pretty Tony Stone type stock images...

Not many carry longevity of design and timelessness... That is what makes design good
- long term beauty and functionality that is obvious..

Flash developers make bad web interface people look like mega-talented people... Even
a good Flash developer is prone to making text 6 point, because he/she can and because
it fits more and looks great on their 21 inch monitor... Interface elements that
unfold and serve for multi functional items shouldn't be flat in appearance or appear
abstract - they should work and look like things people are already familiar with...

Now for Neilsen, I am inches shy of calling him a nutcase...  He is an extreme example
of bad design himself... He rips apart known sites in his book for examples then shows
his own site work, which is an utter disaster...  Does one need to be a designer to
say what works and doesn't? Well no, but they should have some suitable examples that
work, not text loaded geek droppings...

When developing a website think of it like creating a movie... This analogy certainly
is pretty exact for Flash... But it also readily applies to non-flashers too...

To create a movie you need a writer, editors, actors, voice people, special effects,
camera people, lights, sound and film editors.  For a HTMl based site you need to:
storyboard, write copy, outline, implement wireframe, fill in wireframe (program and
HTMl markup), provide graphic dressup and develop middleware.. and if you are lucky,
focus group study a segment of your users and modify as needed...

Unfortunatly, most web projects are done incredibly under budget compared to what
their expectations are... Causing technical people to fill roles and do work solely at
the direction of the client or a graphic designer... A client who has their
preferences in mind or a designer who wants the site to be pretty and print and work
like paper..

Macromedia's new site is a radical deviation from 95% of the worlds expectation and
basis of the web... They violate the sound concept of no more than 15% deviation from
established standards... They also use their marketshare distribution concept of
adopted Flash installation base to shove Flash into your browser...  Would it be any
more wise to push movies and sounds to you like some cheesy sites do?

On the other side, the idea of more rich on demand Flash type services online to view
media and distribute is upon us... Hopefully Macromedia will learn what we all did
years ago- create a site for for each specific lot of people based on unique needs...
whether it be sight impaired or those who use Netscape or IE...

-paris