> I've started to put some config and other data in XML files
> for our applications and have no idea how to secure the
> information, especially on a shared server. Has any of y'all
> come up with a good way to do this?

There's nothing inherently different about securing XML files, as opposed to
any other sort of files. They're just text files.

If you're concerned about people being able to download them from your web
site, don't put them in a public web directory. If you're concerned about
people with filesystem access being able to read them, use filesystem
permissions to prevent that if possible. If you're concerned about people
with the ability to write programs in CF that could read your files, and who
can store those programs on this shared server, your server administrator
will need to use the security sandbox functionality provided in CFMX, or the
Advanced Security functionality in CF 4-5.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444