From: Matthew Walker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 3:20 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SQL Name Sounds Like Matching

You say "on the cheap." Well that means they get whatever's standard with no
customisation, right? That's what soundex is. It may not be great, but it's
certainly easy.  Demanding clients with a tight budget really need to be
dealt with firmly. They're business killers.

The thing is that phonetic tokenisation algorithms are language based, i.e.
soundex is designed to work for English. However, it would be by far the
easiest to implement. There's a udf here: http://cflib.org/udf.cfm?ID=39 .
There are a few variations on Soundex which could be investigated. There's
also metaphone which is a bit more complex to implement. I would store the
soundex code for each name in the database, with an index on this column,
and then use the soundex code of the input data as the search key. In this
way it will be just as quick as a regular search and you can do it whether
or not the dbms supports Soundex. Combined with regular searching perhaps
with typo support from verity, and that would have to be way more than a
budget client could expect.

Matthew Walker
Electric Sheep Web
http://www.electricsheep.co.nz/