Blood Python wrote:

> I never thought about it until today, when i was asked about it while
> explaing a bit if mysql for a friend. Is there a rule or best pratice to
> know when it's time to create another datasource? Maybe spliting 1
> datasource with many tables on 2 or 3 increases performance...

It can increase performance and it can decrease performance. From a CF
point of view, it will most likely decrease performance marginally to
split a datasource, even if it is just because of a less efficient
connection pool.
On the database side, anything can happen if you split a database.
Performance might increase because of less lock contention, or decrease
because the occasional much slower cross database query or just because
more execution plans must be cached (not talking about datasources
anymore, but databases).

I would let the rules of normalization determine the number of tables,
not some arbitrary performance number that undoubtedly changes with the
next release anyway.

Jochem

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm