Thanks Isaac and Taco,

I use CFQUERYPARAM extensivly although some older code may not have it, but 
I've been  using Val(mynum) for along time to protect against this kind of 
thing.

I will scan the web server logs and see what I can find. I get emailed when 
ever ANY errors occur on the site, and you would think that it would be 
difficult for a SQL Injection attack to be successful without a couple of 
attempts generating errors first.

Strange...

Brook


At 07:31 PM 7/5/2003 -0500, S. Isaac Dealey wrote:
> > I have an application where a couple of records have
> > "mysteriously" been
> > deleted. The user who the records belongs to (and who have
> > exclusive access
> > to the record), says they did not delete the record (via
> > the CF webapp). I
> > am a bit concerned that some one may have maliciously
> > deleted the record.
> > No one has physical access to the DB server.
>
> > Is there any way to track delete requests at the SQL
> > Server level? Or any
> > other precautions I might take.
>
> > Brook
>
>You could place a trigger on the table in question which inserts into an 
>alternate table the record id and time and that will tell you at the sql 
>server level _when_ the deletion occurs. Although unless you're also 
>tracking login and logout times there's no way of knowing if that user is 
>logged in when it happens... also, ask the user to change their password 
>to be sure nobody else may somehow have their password ... although if 
>somebody knows how to hack the db to get it, then this won't help 
>either... if you'd like me to make more specific suggestions about the cf 
>code on the basis that the deletion might be possible via a sql insertion 
>attack, you can forward me any code you'd like me to examine specifically 
>off-list. The only queries that should be dangerous in this respect are 
>those where a variable is used within the cfquery tags, but not within a 
>quoted variable or cfqueryparam value. So if you have a numeric value, 
>i.e. "SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE ID = #myintegerid#" or where there's a 
>pregenerated sql snippet, i.e. "WHERE #mywhereclause# these are potential 
>targets for sql insertion attacks.
>
>hth
>
>s. isaac dealey                972-490-6624
>
>new epoch                      http://www.turnkey.to
>
>lead architect, tapestry cms   http://products.turnkey.to
>
>tapestry api is opensource     http://www.turnkey.to/tapi
>
>certified advanced coldfusion 5 developer
>http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=21816
>
>
>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq

This list and all House of Fusion resources hosted by CFHosting.com. The place for 
dependable ColdFusion Hosting.
http://www.cfhosting.com

                                Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4
                                

Reply via email to