Okay, I love it when people post followups for how they did something, so I
thought I'd followup here on what I did, and how easy it was.

It was obvious that this was a client/validation issue, so I looked for
javascripts that would do what I needed. Lo and behold, I found this little
gem:
http://javascript.internet.com/forms/money-filter.html

Problem solved in about 5 minutes. Worked like a charm.

If only every problem were this easy.

on 8/13/03 10:51 AM, Craig Dudley at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If you are only allowing full dollars, you could use this on your input
> box...
> 
> onkeypress="if ((event.keyCode < 48) || (event.keyCode > 57))
> event.returnValue = false;"
> 
> Or this if you want to allow .'s
> 
> onkeypress="if (((event.keyCode < 48) || (event.keyCode > 57)) &!
> (event.keyCode==46)) event.returnValue = false;"
> 
> A simple isnumeric() test on the submitted field should be enough to
> validate it then.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jim Campbell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: 13 August 2003 15:43
> To: CF-Talk
> Subject: Re: Inserting Currency Values...I bet this is a silly
> question...
> 
> 
> If you're only allowing dollar amounts (no decimals), it would probably
> be a lot easier to simply request that the user only enter numbers, no
> punctuation or other things.  This makes checking the value very easy
> and fast in both Javascript and CF before inserting.
> 
> - Jim
> 
> Jeff wrote:
> 
>> Okay, in the database the price is stored as an int (SQL Server 2k) and
> 
>> formatted on output to currency. On the form, the field is a text field
> 
>> passing the value that's typed in.
>> 
>> Problem: When the user types "$250,000" into the price field to insert
>> a record, the error on insert indicates that "there are fewer columns
>> in the INSERT statement than values specified in the VALUES clause". In
> 
>> other words, the comma in the price is throwing it off.
>> 
>> I'd like to allow the user to type in their own way of expressing a
>> price (one user might type "250000" one might type "250,000" and one
>> might type "$250,000"...I'd like all to be "correct" if possible) and
>> having it accept it and store it as an int like I'm guessing it should
>> be. It is after all, a positive, somewhat large and varying, number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq

Signup for the Fusion Authority news alert and keep up with the latest news in 
ColdFusion and related topics. 
http://www.fusionauthority.com/signup.cfm

                                Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4
                                

Reply via email to