> Why not just run the server on your local machine for development?
Matt - this is what we're contemplating doing here. But, it brings up other
issues - like how to handle directories that would be LDAP protected on the
"live" (in our case development) server, where we rely on the
cgi.remote_user variable to determine who someone is. Do you use LDAP to
protect directories? Does this mean all your developers run LDAP on their
desktops so they can mimic what happens on the server? Or, do you spoof code
on the local machines - something like:
<cfif NOT LEN(cgi.remote_user)>
<cfset loggedinuser = "somehardcodedvalue">
<cfelse>
<cfset loggedinuser = cgi.remote_user>
</cfif>

 (I have no idea if it's even possible to run LDAP locally - let alone being
able to replicate the data on the live server.)

(I was trying to get at this and some other ideas with my development
environment thread, but it never got there....)
-Deanna