> > No, it's also used to edit files. Its big advantage is that
> > it easily allows remote access, when you haven't set up any
> > other alternative for remote access, without worrying about
> > firewall configuration or software installation. I don't know
> > whether a lot of people use it when they have LAN access to
> > their web server's filesystem.
>
> But isn't the general recommendation to disable RDS on production
> servers?

Well, sure, that's the general recommendation. I'm sure that plenty of
people don't follow that general recommendation, though. Most web
application security best practices are "more honored in the breach than the
observance", aren't they?

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496