From: Paul Hastings [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26 September 2003 07:40
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Multilingual site?

> And no, UTF-8 is NOT Unicode : UTF8 is an 8 bit encodeing system and
Unicode is a 16 bit code. UTF-8 suports Unicode (or any other 16 bit
system), just as base64 is NOT ASCII, it suports ASCII (or any 8 bits
system), and ASCII is NOT English (or any other language).

Unicode Transformation Format. i rather doubt anyone would have created
UTFs
w/out unicode. do they somehow predate unicode? are the UTF ever used
with
anything besides unicode? what character sequence codes do they use?

> >>international ms office comes with arial unicode ms,
> As I told you, it was 2 years ago.

it was in international ms office two years ago.

> Just try a page in Unicode with Netscape 4.7 and you will see ;-(

why bring up that pile of dead code?

you personally don't want to use unicode, fine. you personally don't
need
the euro symbol, fine. however, this discussion was about m11n
(multilingual) sites. unicode is by far the best choice for these sorts
of
applications. it offers developers the widest range of languages with
the
least cost/resistance in cf.

  _____

[Todays