Just looking for other's insight. Can't think of a better group to ask...

I'm setting up a custom ecomm area (current is a setup using the JASC
component my boss implemented before I got here). What the big boss
would like is something that wouldn't fit into the general templates you
find all over, so I'm working from scratch on most of this. I'm trying
to find what would be the best method for initially handling order
details. Most of the items are apparel. The user would first select a
category, then select a specific item/design from a thumbnail. Next they
would be shown a larger image with the different colors it would be
offered in. The user would select the color they want, taking them to
the next screen where different size options would be available. The
user would enter in the quantity of each size they may want. The next
step would verify the item/design, basic product detail, color, sizes
and quantities, and the price (showing price differences for oversized
products as well). At this point it would then continue to the basics
(name, addy, payment, etc.) My question is this. Every step of this
process is some type of form. I could use hidden form fields to carry
over all of the information from screen to screen, but this seems a
little tedious, inelegant, and possibly somewhat insecure. What is
suggested process in this type of situation? Should I set up some kind
of struct var to handle the details? Would this best be handled within
the session or client scopes? How does one best prevent race conditions?

The end run is to write the details to a db once the order is processed,
but I've seen what can happen when writing the details to a db from the
get go and then having the user cancel the order or the payment is not
approved (not my design, and it was ugly...) So, any suggestions are
welcome and appreciated. TIA

Cutter