CFTRANSACTION

-----Original Message-----
From: Cutter (CF-Talk) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 25 March 2004 12:10 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: ECommerce practices

Just looking for other's insight. Can't think of a better group to ask...

I'm setting up a custom ecomm area (current is a setup using the JASC
component my boss implemented before I got here). What the big boss would
like is something that wouldn't fit into the general templates you find all
over, so I'm working from scratch on most of this. I'm trying to find what
would be the best method for initially handling order details. Most of the
items are apparel. The user would first select a category, then select a
specific item/design from a thumbnail. Next they would be shown a larger
image with the different colors it would be offered in. The user would
select the color they want, taking them to the next screen where different
size options would be available. The user would enter in the quantity of
each size they may want. The next step would verify the item/design, basic
product detail, color, sizes and quantities, and the price (showing price
differences for oversized products as well). At this point it would then
continue to the basics (name, addy, payment, etc.) My question is this.
Every step of this process is some type of form. I could use hidden form
fields to carry over all of the information from screen to screen, but this
seems a little tedious, inelegant, and possibly somewhat insecure. What is
suggested process in this type of situation? Should I set up some kind of
struct var to handle the details? Would this best be handled within the
session or client scopes? How does one best prevent race conditions?

The end run is to write the details to a db once the order is processed, but
I've seen what can happen when writing the details to a db from the get go
and then having the user cancel the order or the payment is not approved
(not my design, and it was ugly...) So, any suggestions are welcome and
appreciated. TIA

Cutter