I too use AdAware 6.0 (along with the memory resident Ad-Watch) in addition to Symantec virus protection software. Further I also have a firewall in place as provided by my Belkin wireless router.  The entire set of product types are required to provide a good defense to the various intruders our there. Even with this in place, I still get spam email from folks that use different source addresses which rules are hard to create to block.

An excellent tool to determine how "stealth" you are in at http://www.pcflank.com/ -- see set of available test in upper left hand menu entitled: "Test your System"

Happy trails...