There're actually a few problems here:

1) We don't have any control over the map, really.  It's designed by the
print designer for the paper program guide then given to us (usually at the
last minute).  We do, however often have to update the map when venues
change before the event.  But we (the web team) have no control over its
look, design or contents.

Since she works with the map for print only the files we get are less than
ideal for online or dynamic use.  For example you'd think that the "roads"
would be all on layer, but instead there are hundreds of tiny independent
objects creating the illusion of a single layer.

2) We're on a shared host (CrystalTech.net to be specific) and can't install
many of the cooler things we'd like to.  ;^)  Even if we could the level of
traffic we got on the 31st is such that doing custom maps for each visitor
(something I've always wanted to do) is really out of the question. as it is
we're pushing the limits of our server for those few hours a year.

That being said the "map" (or at least the venues) are indeed databased
already.  I store the actual map image coordinates (pixel x and y) and (at
least for those I've gotten to) the GPS coordinates as well.

3) We just don't have much time.  The site isn't anybody's full time job and
with all the other requests nifty things for the map always seem to sink to
the bottom of the list.  I've wanted to turn those coordinates I've
collected into a "what's close to this" feature for years now.  ;^)

We're supposed to be getting a new map this year. the same one used by the
city tourist bureau I believe.  I've got high hopes.

At any rate there is a specific look and feel to these maps that can't be
changed - most of the GIS mapping systems I've found are unfortunately
rather ugly.  Our map isn't "exact" either - it's a highlight map showing
most (but definitely not all) of the main streets in Boston, a few of the
building and other landmarks and so forth with nothing to exact scale.  It's
really more "art" than "fact" but does the job, mostly (I always get at
least one complaint that the train stations aren't listed on the map.)

Jim Davis