It's generally true that CFML, as a "higher" level language that removes
much of the "silliness" you find in lower-level programming languages, will
not perform as well as Java/JSP. But,

  - It's also generally true that code written in "C" will outperform Java,
and code written in machine-level assembly language will generally
outperform "C" (though there are Java and "C" adherents who will dispute
both of these). However, Java is generally preferred over "C", and "C" is
generally preferred over assembler because of the productivity advantages.
People are expensive; writing and maintaining complex software systems is
expensive; CPUs and RAM are cheap (and getting cheaper). Unless you're
writing one of those rare applications where milli- and micro-seconds of
performance are critical, the trade-off of performance for productivity is
generally more than worth it. The same is true for CFML versus
Java/JSP--CFML is generally a much more productive programming environment
than Java/JSP.

  - For web applications that involve database access, the database is going
to be your performance bottleneck. Your web application, whether written in
CFML or Java/JSP, is going to spend most of its time idle waiting for a
response from the database. CFML can wait just as fast as Java/JSP. :-)

Cheers,

Vince Bonfanti
New Atlanta Communications, LLC
http://www.newatlanta.com