HT will not make a large difference in most stuff that you do on your
desktop. Keep in mind the theory behind HT. In a very simplified nut shell
you take one CPU and make it two logical CPUs.(more or less)  So it will not
make a 3Ghz CPU any faster then a 3Ghz CPU. Where you do see a difference is
everything seems to respond just a little quicker due to there are twice as
many logical CPUs to service CPU requests. This can be seen when windows
starts up the lag between seeing your desktop icons and windows being
useable is much shorter with HT.

I had a problem with some apps crashing (Norton anti-SPAM) with HT on. To be
fair to NAS it would crash weekly anyway, with HT on it would crash daily.

Donna, are you replacing a desktop or a server? If you are replacing a
desktop I would not go with a dual CPU. Unless you have some mad money just
sitting around. Your desk top apps are more then likely not written to take
advantage of dual CPUs.

Mark W. Breneman
-Cold Fusion Developer
-Network Administrator