Barney,

What are some of the uses of onApplicationEnd?

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: Barney Boisvert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:01 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Application.cfc - why? what's it for?

A lot of it depends on how you currently use Application.cfm, and how
important the features that you can only get from Application.cfc are.

If you're just using Application.cfm for your CFAPPLICATION tag and
setting global variables, then Application.cfc isn't going to really
do anything for you.  The only difference will be that you have to
type a bunch of extra CFC-related stuff.

However, repackaging Application.cfm in a new way isn't the reason for
Application.cfc.  With the CFC, you can do a lot of new things that
are simply impossible with Application.cfm.  For instance, you get
events for application end, and session end, neither of which you've
the ability to access before.  The session end event, in particular,
can be very useful for certain applications

You also get events for application start, session start,  request
start/end, and errors.  Those are places that you've already had
access to, though with the the CFC, the access is much more controlled
and abstracted.  Application start, moreso than the others, is quite
nice, because it lets you iniitalize all your application-scope
variable without having to worry about single threading access.  Very
handy for avoiding subtle little bugs when you're starting up under
load.

Of course, by leveraging the new events, you do lose a little bit of
"ad hoc-ness".  For example, if you're using a pair of CFIF tags and a
CFLOCK tag to protect your application initialization in
Application.cfm (the usual way of doing it), it's trivial to "restart"
your application on the fly by simply adding a "false" to those
conditionals.  With onApplicationStart, however, you can't do that,
becuase CF is internally taking care of the nitty-gritty stuff, so you
have to change your application name, or restart CF.

Bottom line, Application.cfc has some nice features that you may or
may not be useful to you.  It also lets you package your app framework
code in a far more abstracted way than Application.cfm, which may or
may not tickle your fancy.  However, even if you don't use any of the
cool new things Application.cfc brings to the table, you don't really
move backwards at all by starting to use it.  And more importantly,
when you do need some of the things you can only get with the CFC,
you'll already be using it, so you won't have to switch things over at
that point.

As neat as CF7's feature set is, Application.cfc is probably the best
new thing in the release.  It doesn't get the press that some other
features have gotten, because it's 100% devoid of "flashiness", but
it's definitely a Good Thing.

cheers,
barneyb

--