On 8/29/05, Burns, John D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to start a new app and there are some things I've
> learned from other apps that I'm going to implement into this app as far
> as CFCs go. I saw the thread concerning the THIS scope which helped to
> get some different people's takes on its use. I was wondering if anyone
> else would like to post personal or recognized best practices.  I am
> especially interested in scoping instances of components. I always have
> a hard time deciding which scopy to put instances of CFCs into for
> different purposes and which kinds of methods I should have in each.
> Sometimes, I've overloaded the application scope and end up locking my
> application to death for almost everything, but then other times, I
> think I put stuff in session that belongs in application. Any advice
> would be appreciated, as well as any other best practices that you'd
> care to share. I'm always willing to learn. Thanks.

Your best bet is to search the archives of this list. This topic gets
beaten to death every month or two and you'll find a wealth of
information in past threads that you can choose to apply or not apply
to your development cycle. What you'll find is that "best practices"
is a very subjective theme, with only a few truly necessary "must-dos"
(i.e., var scoping local variables, including query names). As for
what scope you store component instances in, how they're called, etc.,
that's all up to you and nobody is going to chime in with a "you must
do it this way or it's incorrect" answer for you. Sorry it's a bit
gray, but that's just the reality.

Regards,
Dave.