On 10/24/05, Munson, Jacob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > From: Joe Rinehart
> >
> > Right - you just have to use a clumsy workaround for testing which
> > browser people are on, hoping ActiveX is enabled on IE, and that any
> > new browsing stuff people use supports it, and that they're not on a
> > mobile (hi, Flash Lite!).
>
> Why the heck should I care of ActiveX is enabled?  IE needs ActiveX for
> JavaScript to work?  That's a new one on me...besides, I usually filter
> all IE users to /dev/null ;)

Have you ever looked at the "standard" code developers use to access
the XmlHTTPRequest object? The object is not natively built in to IE
because it's an older browser. The Mozilla developers built it
natively, and hence you don't have to worry about a plugin in that
browser. Here's the pertinent code you'll find to initialize the
object in a typical AJAX-ian application:

try {
  xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
} catch (e) {
  try {
    xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
  } catch (E) {
    xmlhttp = false;
  }
}
if (!xmlhttp && (typeof XMLHttpRequest != 'undefined') ) {
  xmlhttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
}

I think that IE 7 is building the XmlHTTPRequest object natively into
it (I thought I read that somewhere), but until then, yes, you need to
be very aware of ActiveX and user-defined security settings when
developing AJAX applications. Just because you're a Firefox guy, it
doesn't mean your users necessarily are. Personally, I won't use
Firefox with GMail because of it's atrocious memory leak.

Regards,
Dave.