Matt:

What context is the 404 handler running in?  It may be that CF is treating
the handler as if it were located in the same directory as the file that was
requested instead of where it actually resides.  In other words, instead of
building the relative path from where the 404 handler is physically located,
build the relative path from where the requested resource would have been
located.  This is really something of a long shot but since the 404 handler
is a special case for CF templates and "true" relative paths haven't worked
for you, it may be worth a shot.

BTW, you shouldn't have to use a mapping/absolute path as others have
suggested.  CFINCLUDE handles relative paths very nicely, thank you.

--
Mosh Teitelbaum
evoch, LLC