From: Earl, George [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:26 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Timeout requests after XX seconds . . .

I'm confused.

If the 'Timeout requests after XX seconds' setting in CFAdmin is set to 60
seconds and a request (for us almost always a database request) takes longer
than 60 seconds I get a message in the CF logs that 'The unresponsive thread
count is up to X.' When the request completes I get a message that 'The
unresponsive thread count is down to X.' and another message that the
offending template ran x seconds.

I thought the purpose of the time out setting in CFAdmin was to free up the
offending thread once the time out limit had been reached. But the log file
message implies that the thread is kept open until the request returns from
the database at which time it is then terminated and freed up.

Is this maybe two types of time outs - CF processing time outs vs.
database request time outs? And what I describe above is CF practicing good
database request housekeeping?

Does it make sense that 1) if a thread is kept open until the request
returns from the database, even if that request goes beyond the time out
setting in CFAdmin, and 2) if the CF processing on the returned answer set
is at most a couple of seconds, it would make sense to not time out these
database requests?

Running CF5 . . .  :(

Thanks!

George