You'd have a hard job proving that one in court, I suspect.

Some data is so obviously 'open source' that you could scrape it with no
problem.  I was once asked for nearly £20k to have football league tables
supplied, via SQL Server, from the Press Association.  However since these are
calculated based on freely-available results, there's very little stopping you
from scraping them and saying you did the calculations yourself.

However there aren't many places that can tell you the colour of shirt for
every team that kicked the ball last in every football game in the UK each week
(as the Press Association provides to bookmakers) so if you nicked something
like that from a site, they'd know fine if you had a license to use it or not.