On 10/14/06, Larry Lyons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:...

> The "D" man may nbot be too sure of what he's talking about.

Most of the time I'm not too sure if what I'm saying is making sense on the
other end.
In my head- it's crystal. *cough* yup. =]

OK  lets look at it another way, how much is a PDF generator, even in terms
> of time alone? Using iText (assuming you can install it on your server in
> the first place) takes a lo of time and effort to say the least. Compare
> that to using CFMX 7's PDF generation abilities. Multiple hours of work vs a
> few minutes. Again if you're paying a developer $50 per hour, that adds up
> very quickly. After a very short time its cheaper to by CFMX7. Or CFMAIL,
> same thing. you can add in mail capacities with other languages, typically
> they are extras and cost much more. Moreover adding the email to  the app
> can be an effort. With CF its very easy. Again in this case time is money.
> Other examaple creating or consuming web services, directory watchers etc.

There are tons of packages out there.  I'm amazed daily by the different
CRM-ish PHP stuff out there.
You could roll out a whole app with all kinds of stuff fairly quickly.  Far
faster than a bunch of grunts writing stuff from the ground up, or whatnot.
Drag and drop modules, and spiffy stuff like that.  Directory watchers I
haven't seen much of, but I haven't looked (and sadly, haven't used them
myself... maybe for this one project, they'd be a good fit... hmmm...
anywhayze...)

The idea is that when you factor in the real costs, CF is cheap. When you
> compare the time it takes from the initial requirements gathering to
> rollout, CF is much more of a RAD than almost any other type of web based
> app environment. Again when you are paying hourly rates for multiple
> developers those costs add up very rapidly. If developing an app takes 3 CF
> developers at $50 per hour each, 180 hours to roll an app out, and 3
> developers using another language 240 hours, again at $50 per hour each.
> Then the difference has paid for 1 copy of CF Enterprise, and you still have
> around $4000 in the bank.

Well, it's all in the frame of reference, and context, etc.

One of the things I learned from the little bit of assembler I worked with,
was that it's a PITA when you're building it all from scratch, but it speeds
up quite a bit when you've got skeletons of the various things you need... I
think the basic idea applies in other areas, because I see this effect
everywhere, even with CF- RADicle as it is. ;]

Enough said.

I don't think you've wrangled the definition of "free" enough for me to see
CF as "free"...  just because it saves time when looked at from some angles
doesn't negate the fact that you won't find a "full" version for "free"
anywhere.  At least I haven't seen one I could make a million dollars with
and not have to pay someone else, or whatever.
Make a ton of money, and see how free anything is though, I reckon. :)

But I get the point: it's all in how you look at it.  Ah, how I love
perspectives!  Like I said, this isn't a penny, that I hold here in my
hand... not really, when you think about it...