I'm having trouble following your logic, but I'd think if you have one
function in the onBlur of an input, and the other in the onSubmit of the
form tag, it should keep them separate.  What's causing them both to
fire?

"EMF <idahopower.com>" made the following annotations.
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please
immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,