From: Charlie Griefer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 1:59 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Certification

On 12/15/06, Robertson-Ravo, Neil (RX)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And indeed, as you said they do/can show you what you did and do not
know
> and are a great teaching tool but the actual cert is meaningless.

"meaningless" is subjective.

You and me and everyone else on this list know that the cert is
meaningless when it comes to determining who is a "better" programmer.

But let's ask someone who's job hunting...and a particular company has
narrowed their search down to two candidates... our friend and one
other person.  EVERYTHING between the two is equal (years of
experience, skill level, education)...except the other person has
their cert, and in this instance, that is enough to tip the scales in
favor of the other person, who gets the job.  Ask them if it's
meaningless.

I've got my cert in MX 6 and MX 7.  It's never helped me.  But I don't
regret having it for one simple fact.  It will NEVER hurt me.

--
Charlie Griefer

"...All the world shall be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies,
and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must
catch
you, digger, listener, runner, prince with a swift warning.
Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."