> No, it simply doesn't mean that at all. It merely states that if you
> modify the open source software itself, and choose to release the
> modified version, it must also be open source.

I agree.  This was a misconception that Microsoft fostered with their
"Linux is a virus" comments (referencing the 'viral' nature of the
GPL).  The GPL states that if you modify the software that is
protected by the GPL (Linux, MySQL), you have to release your
modifications under the GPL.  But if you use Linux and/or MySQL for
commercial projects, you don't have to release your source.  That is
how Novell was able to have proprietary admin modules in SuSE
(although I think they've now voluntarily open sourced all their
stuff).

--
My Sites:
http://www.techfeed.net/blog/