I disagree.

If someone wants to help, show the world what they can do, or whatever
their reasoning why not?  It's no different than a photo contest, art
contest or the contest Ray Camden runs occasionally for showing off what
you can do with your programing skills.

It's a contest with prizes for the winner.  If you have enough time and
are so inclined power to you.