> >> AJAX.  Field-based editing with a simple log. =]
> >
> > I'm sorry, but that, by itself, is a very silly answer.
> >
> > AJAX is display technology. It lets you build a more
> responsive, less linear
> > presentation layer. It doesn't let you track database
> changes any more than
> > a traditional HTML interface lets you track database changes.
>
> I agree that it is certainly an incomplete answer. I suspect what the
> poster meant was to attach an onChange call to all the fields on the
> form that are being used to display and change data. Have the
> call do an
> async request to the server with the field id, before value and after
> value that gets fed into a logging function. For validation
> purposes, I
> would also add the id of that field to a hidden form field
> listing the
> fields that were changed and then compare the changed values to the
> original values that were sent out. That step, however, could just
> replace the Ajax bit entirely.

I feel it's ridiculous to track changes to fields BEFORE the complete data
set (form) is submitted, unless that is a specific intention of the business
logic, which I don't think in this case it is.  Just because AJAX can do all
that "cool" stuff doesn't mean it should be shoehorned into every
application orifice possible.

And... AJAX IS a display technology.  Is JavaScript and XML doing the
backend work?  It's merely a conduit to and from the backend, not the
backend itself.

Andy