Most of the benefits from a framework (at least in my view) come from
the bookkeeping that the framework takes care of automatically.  For
example, ColdSpring manages dependency injection, so I don't have to
write any code to do that.  ColdSpring also provides AOP functionality
which provides a very nice way to wrap functionality around other
existing functionality, and again, takes care of all the mundane
accounting that is required to make that work.

Similar examples exist for other frameworks.  All the Front Controller
frameworks provide configuration languages for the app (which you
don't have to write), automated caching of execution plans (so you
don't have to write them), a framework for managing intra-request
state (so you don't have to write one), etc.

Frameworks also provide consistency between applications.  If I've
worked on a FB5 app anywhere, chances are good I'll be able to switch
to a different FB5 app (quite possibly at a different company in a
different industry) and already understand that app to a very high
degree.  That's very valuable if you have a growing or rotating staff.

In short, there's nothing you NEED a framework for, but there are a
lot of smart developers out there, and I generally prefer to trust
code that someone else wrote (and tested, exercised, and then released
to a large community) over code that I wrote (with no other vetting).
Especially for the mundane (but VERY important) glue bits.  And this
perspective has nothing to do with CF, it's global to programming,
which is why there is such a huge affection for Spring, Struts,
Hibernate, Tapestry, etc., etc. beyond CF's borders.

It's worth mentioning also that your current framework/methodology
seems effortless to you largely because you're very familiar with it,
and understand all it's ins and outs.  A new framework will
automatically seem a lot more cumbersome initially, because you lack
that familiarity with it.

cheers,
barneyb

--