On 5/9/07, John Paul Ashenfelter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Aaron Roberson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Where can I learn how to do the above. That is very cool stuff that I
> > have neglected heretofore.
>
> At the risk of self-promotion, you could check out my class at
> CFUnited, which is covering SVN, Ant, and a host of other related
> technologies for getting started with development best practices.
>
> http://www.teratech.com/go/classdetails?trainingaction=detail&TID=274

Aaron, I understand not being able to make it to CFUnited. And because
John Paul is humble, I will also mention that he is available for
consulting on these types of issues. Getting yourself setup with
subversion correctly is money well spent. I have worked with John and
can vouch for his level of expertise in this matter.

With that said, if you want to go the poor man's route, you can do so.
It just requires a bit more effort and time on your part. Here are
some resources to get you started:
A pretty good blog entry about the concept of version control in a CF
environment:
http://www.ryanguill.com/blog/?mode=entry&entry=897E322E-40CA-6D1C-8A4C3B3FE67B7FD9

Free online book about subversion (the manual):
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Googling subversion and coldfusion turns up quite a bit of useful
links, including this one:
http://www.robgonda.com/blog/index.cfm/2005/7/7/Subversion-up-and-running-in-30-minutes-or-less

Just a note as I'm not sure if it has been made clear. To use source
control, such as subversion, you do not have to use Eclipse. You
should use source control even if you stick with Dreamweaver. In
either case you need a "client" program to interact with the
subversion server. Subclipse is a way to do it directly in Eclipse.
Tortoise seems to be the most popular way outside of eclipse. It
simply provides right-click context menus on any directory that is
part of a source control repository.

Hope that helps.

--
Matt Williams