I'm being asked to consult on writing an email marketing application,
and I'm thinking about how to track responses.

At the moment I'm planning on being able to send out text and html
emails as two-part emails, and tracking readership of the emails by
using a link wiht suitable URL variables  to a CF page on my server
that loads a transparent gif into the reader's email, and adds a
record to a DB table recording the userid and content id etc.

That will record who's opened and presumably read the html version.

But how do people track who reads the text-only versions of emails?

Is there any better way developed to track the success or otherwise of
emails than having a link back to a url?

--
Cheers
Mike Kear