Now now now.   That's not nice.  You're making unreasonable assumptions.

You might not know that the Australian Broadcasting Act makes it
illegal in Australia to send unsolicited commercial emails except
under very specific circumstances - a move which I welcomed and
applauded.   And i applauded and cheered out loud when a spammer in
Perth was arrested, fined millions of bucks and spent some time in the
hoosegow for it.

I'm as much against spamming as anyone.  One day i'm going to be alone
in a room with a spammer and I can promise you there'll be blood on
the walls when it's all over.   Might be MY blood but there'll be
blood, pain and tears.   Definitely.

No, in this case, the application is opted-in emails sent to
membership of a large organisation where members sign up with annual
dues.  And we will most definitely be complying with all the
Australian rules relating to bulk emails - opt-in only, provide
working opt-out/changed my mind link, relevant content only,  lists
not for sale or rent etc etc.

So relax.

And as for "success", Phillip you make a good point that I should have
made plain in my original question - "success" for this exercise only
means 'opened and/or read"     THe successfullness of whatever
campaign/news we're issuing will be measured in other ways, depending
on the nature of the campaign.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month