My company runs a 3 server load balanced cluster with 1500 websites on it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Root [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 8:03 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: GoDaddy

On 6/5/07, J.J. Merrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> According to Forta the cost in a bulk license is so small that there
> is no reason for hosting companies to even charge a premium.

Yes, there absolutely is.

You can pretty easily put 500 php web sites on a single box without too much
trouble.

You can't put 500 CF sites on a single box though.

Plain and simple, the power we are afforded by Coldfusion prevents a hosting
company from realistically putting any more than a fraction of the site that
they can put on a standard php/html type server.  Your average host that
supports php gets a lot of static web sites.  Your average host that supports
CF probably gets a LOT more database intensive websites.

The cost of hosting CF web sites is not necessarly related to the cost of the
CF license.  Sure, you fork out maybe $3000/year, or $250/month for a CF
enterprise license.  If you put 100 sites on a server, that's $2.50/month for
the cost of the CF license.  Really though, a server with 100 cf-powered web
sites?

I'm spoiled by my dedicated server with 15 web sites on it I guess =)

Rick