There are also a lot of jobs for McDonalds late shift workers.

=)

My current programming job is 95% coldfusion, and the ad was for a
perl developer.
My last job was 85% coldfusion, 15% Director and the ad was for "web developer"
My previous job was for "Foxpro Developer", and it was 25% foxpro, 50%
pl/sql and oracle, and a mix of documentum, installer scripts, netware
vlms, etc.

Many places that are hiring have no idea how to classify their
programming needs.

Even at this job, the 95% coldfusion is just the main application
server environment. All day today has been SQL Server, Javascript,
HTML, CSS, some design work, and some ia specing.

I have found that the way the job description reads, and the
technologies described, is usually an indicator of the type of
development environment, the management understanding of technology,
and the development methodology as much as it is an actual request for
technology proficiency.

A job that specs .NET and all MS technologies is often a very rigid,
MS dominated, corporate environment that values certifications more
than seat time and documentation over creativity.

Same is true for PHP/LAMP/Open Source development houses. The choice
of these technologies can be a huge clue into the budget priorities of
a group, which will often affect pay scales and any outlay of real
dollars (sometimes penny smart and pound foolish). Not always, of
course, but often enough in my life to have a question going in.

Some thoughts from my head.
Jerry