From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 14 June 2007 12:15
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Securing Datasources

> I'm looking to get some advice on securing my datasource as
> much as possible.
>
> I'm looking for some advice on the data source, I'm changing
> the allowed functions of the datasource to SELECT, UPDATE and
> INSERT only to stop things being dropped, however, how do I
> have it so the username and password must be supplied in my
> cfquery or stored proc tags? I can't see a checkbox anywhere
> do I simply leave the username and password fields blank in
> my administrator panel?

Instead of changing the allowed functions of the datasource, create database
logins with the appropriate rights and use those from within your
application. In SQL Server, for example, you would assign the db_datareader
and db_datawriter roles to the login that can change data, and just
db_datareader to the login that can only view data.

You can just omit the username and password from the CF Administrator, and
supply those values with your CFQUERY tags, but I don't think that makes
things any more secure. The CF Administrator does encrypt the password, at
least.

> I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but the SQL Server
> and the CF are running on the same box and its SQL Server
> 2005 Standard and ColdFusion MX7 Standard.

Then you have more pressing security concerns; if the database server is on
the same machine as the application server, it can't be effectively
protected.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net