On Jun 14, 2007, at 3:47 PM, Dave Watts wrote:

>> Given that that is the case and I have no way of knowing the
>> browser closed, I have a function (defined in a .cfc) called
>> by flash that basically loops for a while and returns some
>> data (or it times out and then returns an empty record set).
>> As soon as I get this response, I send out a new request from
>> flash. So I'm thinking that whenever a client closes their
>> browser that they will be in the middle of this call, waiting
>> for a response. Make sense? I'm also guessing that there may
>> be an error thrown here when CF tries to return the results
>> to a client that doesn't exist anymore. Can I catch this error
>> in Application.onError and tell CF to end the session?
>
> I don't think you'll get an error here, actually. But even if you
> did, you
> don't really need to worry about killing the session, since the
> client won't
> make any subsequent requests. If you're calling this function
> frequently,
> you can set the session timeout to be very short, say five minutes.

Actually in this case, I do need to kill the session. I'm building a
chat app. When a user leaves, I need to let the other users still
active in the chat know that this user has left. Essentially I'm
deleting them from a temp table in a db. Make sense? The only
indication I've found so far is onEndSession. I'm thinking if I get
an error, I will know the user isn't around and can force the session
to close, which should trigger my onEndSession event.

>> This could probably be a new post, but what I'd really like
>> to learn is a decent way to monitor the events in
>> Application.cfc. As it stands, the browser window is closed,
>> so how do I view any trace/ debug statements coming from
>> those events?
>
> Use CFLOG to write them to a file.

Great! Thanks!