> Larry
>
> Why move at all? I mean, the reason you would upgrade is to get
> features you dont currently have. Saying you will move to another
> engine which .. err.. last time I looked, didnt have those features,
> well, go for it!

Here's a possible reason: suppose he needs to deploy on JBoss and JDK 1.6? If
he's currently running CFMX7, that configuration isn't supported. This leaves
him two options: BD 7.0 or CF8. If price is important to him and he doesn't
need the new CF8 features that BD 7.0 doesn't support, then BD 7.0 is a valid
choice.

Or, here's another possibility: what if what he really needs is not just
Java-to-.NET bridging (as provided in CF8), but full integration with ASP.NET
such as the ability to do session sharing? In this case, BlueDragon.NET 7.0 is
the only choice.

There are many "new" features in CF8 that are already supported by BD 7.0 (or
earlier releases). None of these features are in CFMX7, but can be found in
both BD 7.0 and CF8:

- .NET integration
- image processing (CFIMAGE)
- query caching with CFQUERYPARAM
- CFC serialization (J2EE Session scope clustering)
- duplicate() for CFCs
- CFC interfaces
- multi-threaded programming (CFTHREAD)
- per-application mappings
- CFZIP/CFZIPPARAM
- onMissingTemplate event handler for Application.cfc
- Windows Vista / IIS7 support
- Mac OS X Intel support
- JBoss support
- JDK 1.5 and 1.6 support

Yes, there are features in CF8 that aren't in BD 7.0; there are also features
in BD 7.0 that aren't in CF8. The relevant questions are: which features do you
want, and how much do you want to pay?

My point is: it's not at all irrational or unreasonable for ATCC or others to
choose BD 7.0 over CF8, if BD 7.0 provides a better combination of features and
price to meet their needs.