Very good point, and one I've been caught on before. No, CF tag and
function syntax is not case sensitive, so <cfquery name="qry" and
<CFQUERY NAME="qry" are the same, as is createobject( and CreateObject(.

That being said, and as mentioned before, anything related to the file
system will be. If you have a cfc at Com/myCo/Class, and have a
component call as createobject("component","com.myco.class"), it will
break on *nix. I once had a small app I wrote on Windows, which had to
be run on Linux, and had to spend four hours fixing all of my object
calls. Lessons learned.

An older version of mySQL also required case sensitivity of table and
column names, so SQL had to be carefully reviewed for case.

It makes sense to be 'case sensitive' when writing your code. You never
know when business requirements might change, and a system is migrated
to a different OS, a different DB, or what-have-you. I use lower case
for all CF tags and attributes because that's the standard for XHTML,
and writing my CF that way keeps me on track when writing display. I
even close single tags when I can (<cfset />) while leaving those alone
that I can't (<cfelse>). I use camel case when writing function calls,
or cfscript blocks, because that's the ECMA standard, and keeps me
focused when writing JavaScript or ActionScript.

Conventions help you stay consistent. Guidelines keep everyone in a
group writing consistent code. This assists in maintaining an
application, as you might not be the one making changes to code you
originally wrote.

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com