Lori,

Here's my thoughts on your problem:

1)  Have the static elements of the tickets and ID's printed
professionally by a printer on blanks - it will be much cheaper than
paying for ink outright.   It will also take less time to print.
Maybe a perforated blank with the ticket on once side and the badge on
the other.    I know this is what SXSW does, for example.

2)  When the registrant arrives, send their information to the printer
where the blanks are pre-loaded and print their personal information,
logo, and picture out on the blank.

A separate color logo (which I am assuming is what you mean)  throws a
wrench into the whole deal, because it means the printer hardware is
much more costly as is the cost - per - print job.      I might
suggest doing a cost breakdown for the customer on color vs. greyscale
logos factoring the cost of ink and hardware capable of handling both
color printing and an acceptable page per minute rate for registering
3000 applicants in a single night.    On an event of that scale the
difference probably runs  into the thousands.

Another option would be to print the badges out in advance and file
them and then just use blanks for the tickets where the printing will
only be done in B/W.   Pull the badge from the file and print the
ticket out at check-in.

HTH,

Jon