> With databases that use a locking approach to concurrency (DB2, MS
> SQL Server, Sybase) you will not have the problem because multiple
> occurences of this query will be serialized. With databases that use
> multiversioning (Oracle, PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server with snapshot
> isolation) this query can run concurrently and you can have conflicts.
> I think with MySQL/InnoDB your query will be serialized if you have a
> primary key (due to next key locking), and with MySQL/MyISAM you
> should be safe due to the overall restriction that only one data
> changing statement can write to a table.

Well that's definitely a much more thorough understanding of it than I
had... interesting (and good to know) that the answer varies with SQL
Server depending on version and/or configuration. So I guess the short
answer here would be -- unless you know specifically how your database
handles it, use the serializeable transaction... and maybe even if you
do know. :P

--
s. isaac dealey  ^  new epoch
 isn't it time for a change?