The simplest way to do this is through a cookie. You can't lock down an 
IP as this is something that may not be unique to them. (e.g. AOL)

If they block cookies don't let them vote. If they vote, clear cookies, 
vote again, so be it.

If you want to prevent that, ask them to login/register (with email 
confirm) but expect a far lower voting numbers (but better quality).

You just cannot rely on an IP though. You can have the situation that 
the IP number changes between voting page display and actual vote being 
submitted.

Adam

George Linderman wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>
> I've been spending practically every free moment of my time the past few 
> months working on a project--and I've gotten some valuable help from the 
> community here. Anyway, here I am again to ask for help :)
>
> I'm not going to go and explain the project right now, but the part for which 
> I require assistance is the voting system. Basically, the user clicks on the 
> voting icon (sends them to the processor page), and by means of URL 
> querystring, the number of points is added to the database. Now, it would be 
> overly simple for the user to click on the three-points icon 200 times, and 
> totally mess up my results. Therefore, I obviously want to make some type of 
> system that can stop the user from voting more than once. It doesn't have to 
> be superbly secure--but as secure as possible. I was thinking by means of IP 
> address and/or cookies.
>
> What is your thought on this? Please tell me as well how I would code 
> whatever option you give me, as I was trying to do the IP adress option, but 
> I kept getting stuck. My thought was that the user's IP would be logged into 
> the database, and whenever they vote again, a query would get all the IP 
> addresses logged for that video. Then, it would check if the client's IP is 
> in the results of that query. But...I don't know how to check one IP against 
> all the IPs that have voted. I'm sure it's a basic syntax, but it just isn't 
> coming to me.
>
> Anyway, please give me your advice and code if possible for how to prevent a 
> user from voting twice. 
>
>
> Thanks,
> George L.
>
> P.S. This is kind of time sensitive. Any help you can give would be great. 
> Thanks! 
>
> 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;160198600;22374440;w

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/message.cfm/messageid:300062
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4

Reply via email to