Well ask yourself at what level would you like to be uniquely identified 
when visiting any website? I certainly don't want them to know my MAC 
address.

Have a look at the cfcookie tag. Also be aware that cfcookie cannot be 
used with cflocation.

The concept with cookies is :
1) Landing page checks that there is no "votemade" cookie set. Sets a 
"cansetcookies" cookie and redirects to voting page.
2) Voting page checks for the "cansetcookies" (redirects to the we use 
cookies page" and that "votemade" is not set.
3) Vote is made and on the thank you page the "votemade" cookie is set.




George Linderman wrote:
> Okay, got it. Thank you. Yeah, I was wondering if IPs were not going to 
> work...but didn't know that they were *that* unreliable.
>
> How exactly would I implement the cookie option? I don't have any experience 
> with cookies, aside from knowing that they are little files on the user's 
> computer. Would I want to make a new cookie for each vote? Or would that 
> clutter up the user's system in a bad way?
>
> In other words, can you point me in the right direction code-wise regarding 
> these cookies?
>
> Also, for theoretical purposes, is there any other way at all to uniquely 
> identify the user? I mean, do we as coders have access to logging the user's 
> MAC address on the NIC, or something like that? Or to make it more secure I'd 
> just have to make it with a log in and such.
>
>   
>> The simplest way to do this is through a cookie. You can't lock down an 
>> IP as this is something that may not be unique to them. (e.g. AOL)
>>
>> If they block cookies don't let them vote. If they vote, clear cookies, 
>> vote again, so be it.
>>
>> If you want to prevent that, ask them to login/register (with email 
>> confirm) but expect a far lower voting numbers (but better quality).
>>
>> You just cannot rely on an IP though. You can have the situation that 
>> the IP number changes between voting page display and actual vote being 
>> submitted.
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> George Linderman wrote:
>>     
>
> 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;160198600;22374440;w

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/message.cfm/messageid:300069
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=11502.10531.4

Reply via email to