> Automated testing isn't always possible, especially when you
> are dealing with enterprise applications with millions of
> lines of code.

In that case, honestly, how do you even know that the code works right now?
All you know is that it does something that doesn't generate a visible
error, and doesn't generate user complaints. Lots of subtle bugs fester like
that FOR YEARS, and then you find out you've been undercharging sales tax
for those years, or something like that.

> You can't, for example, expect a company like Myspace to
> thoroughly test all their code.  Or even Google for that
> matter.  Most of Google's services are in perpetual beta,
> because they need people to test their product.

I don't think bringing up Myspace as an example of good application planning
is a good idea. As for Google, test-driven development is embraced very
strongly through the entire organization in ways that are frankly wacky (at
least to visitors using Google urinals):

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgoogletesting.
blogspot.com%2F2007%2F01%2Fintroducing-testing-on-toilet.html&ei=7FTWR7OZBJD
w7AOXgoHrBA&usg=AFQjCNGWEv6FvotbtOmgn5jUrXcX32fIng&sig2=LntNcKLNkNKwjfSFoYml
5Q

> The point is, you can't always anticipate all program flows,
> and how a user will use your app.  Users will often do things
> that you never expect, which is why beta testing is important.

No, and testing is hard. But it's important, and more complete documentation
from Adobe wouldn't make it unnecessary to test new versions when they're
released. And while it's impossible to test every possible unique input, it
is possible to identify every unique type of input and test that.

> I think this is where .NET might have an edge, as I believe
> that .ASPX pages are compiled, so compile time errors are
> found quicker, unlike CF, where you won't see even compile
> time errors until you actually invoke the template.

..ASPX pages are compiled directly prior to runtime by default, just like CF
pages.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Training: Adobe/Google/Paperthin Certified Partners
http://training.figleaf.com/

WebManiacs 2008: the ultimate conference for CF/Flex/AIR developers!
http://www.webmaniacsconference.com/