> Sounds to me like there's an expectation that the folks doing the beta
for new versions will be more
> superhuman than everyone else.

But the folks running the beta are not the ones responsible for
discovering what the vendor changed! If you think we're all mad at the
beta testers for not finding and documenting every incompatibility then
you are greatly mistaken.

You can not *test* quality into a product... you build it in from the
start. That means the engineers and language designers have to document
their decisions and their impacts. Shocking!

As far as testing goes, the vendor should have their own unit and
compatibility tests. I mean, after all of these years, how can they not
have them?? And so every change of behavior detected by their unit tests
should be documented.

When the vendor has fulfilled their responsibility then we, the
customers, can do our own homework by studying that documentation.

Thanks
        Mark

--
s. isaac dealey  ^  new epoch